Chazen is searching for a highly capable individual to work in the Planning Group on Community Planning projects as a Planner. This position will support our growing community planning practice. Our work includes community revitalization planning, bike/pedestrian planning, TOD/urban design and placemaking, SEQRA support, and watershed/natural resource planning assignments.
We are a multidisciplinary firm and our planning team works in partnership with landscape architects, engineers, environmental specialists, and survey teams. We are currently working on transformative projects including complete street plans, local/regional trail/recreation plans, green infrastructure initiatives, and brownfield/waterfront plans. We also provide to municipalities in administering the land use approval process. You should have the ability to work independently and collaboratively, have a keen understanding of the planning and design process and understand data gathering/research and interpret demographic and economic data.
Planners at the Chazen Companies have diverse assignments and responsibilities supporting our community and environmental planning practice areas as well as provide technical support to our municipal and land development service lines. We are looking for a planner who can write, possess graphic communication skills, works with GIS, has a strong technical aptitude, intuitive and wants to crush it!
This position will likely be based out of our Glens Falls, NY office with occasional travel
- Technical research and writing, document preparation and publication.
- Planning and completing all aspects of public engagement: community surveys, stakeholder interviews, website setup, and community meetings.
- Preparing form-based codes, design guidelines, and zoning regulations.
- Preparing and implementing redevelopment strategies for small towns, hamlets, and downtowns.
- Preparation and review of land use applications (zoning analysis, special permit applications, variances, site plan applications), conducting environmental review (SEQRA/NEPA), including preparation of Environmental Impact Statements.
- Knowledge of local, State and Federal regulatory permitting process and environmental impact/technical analysis methods is required.
- Master’s Degree in Planning or related field is required. Applicants with a Bachelor’s Degree and exceptional work experience will be considered
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of practical experience in a professional consulting environment, or related environment
- Key skills include demonstrated excellence in technical writing, solid verbal and written communication skills
- Computer proficiency includes Microsoft Office suite, GIS , communication graphics and website related platforms is preferred
- Ability to interact effectively with clients, project teams, and colleagues internally and externally
The offer of employment for this position will be conditioned upon a satisfactory criminal background check.
Competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits program are offered including tuition reimbursement, professional development, membership in professional associations and much more.
The Chazen Companies does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiting professionals or agencies, nor do we accept resumes from any source that does not reference a specific, open position. The Chazen Companies will not be responsible for any fees arising from the use of resume submitted by recruiting professionals or agencies that do not have a current placement fee agreement with The Chazen Companies. All initial communication with recruiting professionals or agencies must go through human resources.
Chazen, A LaBella Company is a multi-disciplinary consulting firm providing civil engineering, land surveying, landscape architecture, planning, environmental and safety consulting, code services, construction services, transportation planning and traffic engineering to clients in the private and public sectors. Our employees proudly collaborate with municipalities, state agencies, developers, landowners, utility companies, and industrial, healthcare, education, and nonprofit clients from project concept to completion, taking a customized approach to every project. We deliver world-class performance focused on creating effective, long-term partnerships with our clients.
Chazen recently joined LaBella Associates, a multi-disciplinary architectural and engineering firm founded in 1978 and headquartered in Rochester, NY with offices across New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Maine, Virginia, North and South Carolina, Alabama, and Madrid, Spain.
Chazen and LaBella are dedicated to client satisfaction through teamwork, respect, and trust. We are regularly recognized by our employees as a Best Place to Work and consistently win workplace excellence awards. Competitive compensation and a comprehensive benefits program are offered including tuition reimbursement, professional development, membership in professional associations and much more. All our offices provide employees with a relaxed, friendly, and professional working atmosphere. Most importantly, our diverse and talented staff understand the need to be highly responsive and take pride in exceeding our client’s expectations.
Founded over 70 years ago, Chazen has offices in Glens Falls, Latham, Poughkeepsie, White Plains and New York City, NY; Nashville and Chattanooga, TN; and Portland, OR.
The Chazen Companies is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Chazen participates in the E‐Verify Program to verify all new hires are authorized to work in the United States.
To Apply Online: https://labellapc.applicantstack.com/x/apply-chazen/a2nrfto1dtci